You need more than a new website to compete in the digital age
We're entering a new era where change is rapid and constant.
This insight caused me to shift my career from arts administration to experience design. I want to help others to understand the importance of being user-focused, service driven, creative, and flexible.
I'm fascinated by the way people think, see, learn, and make choices. When we know what matters to people (even if they themselves don't know), we can design with intention and contribute less junk to our already excessive world.
So, what does your business need to succeed in our rapidly changing, hyperconnected world?
- a better website?
- a social media strategy?
- a new product or service?
- different customers?
- a new business model?
Embracing a new way of thinking
Business guru Clay Christensen has said that businesses often create products and entire categories too focused on what companies want to sell, rather than on what customers actually need. It's time to shift mindsets from a solutions-focus to a customer-centric problem-focus, which resonates better with prospects and customers, making them more inclined to say "yes".
I improve audience engagement and business operations through customer-centric content and service design.
- Attractive and entertaining customer experiences
- Improved budget/time estimates
- Increased participation by skeptics and advocates
- Increased subscribers, members, followers
- Reduced costs, hassle and work on spec
- Simplification of complex concepts
I like to work with ambitious people
Open to new ideas
Interested in growing your business
Thinking you need a new website (or new ideas)
Excited by learning
Likely in a creative or fast moving industry
Please tell me what's on your mind. Thanks!
- Jan 25, 2017 You're so subjective Jan 25, 2017
- Nov 16, 2016 Breaking the hidden barriers to participation Nov 16, 2016
- Jan 13, 2016 Digital Darwinism: If Your Business Isn’t Agile, It’s Dying Jan 13, 2016
- Dec 11, 2015 The Cultural Significance of iPad Pro—Why iPads will take over the workplace Dec 11, 2015
If an organization isn't delivering excellent value to its customers, it's going to fail. Service design improves the quality of the interaction between the service provider (the organization) and its users (the customers).
I help organizations to strategically engage audiences through meaningful in-person and digital experiences.
- Always thinking "user first"
- Gaining a deep understanding of the user's true needs, behaviors and goals
- Recommending design solutions based on user needs
Designing and evaluating user engagement
I plan, design, write, edit, and facilitate all manners of user-focused communication and interactions, from marketing content to in-person experiences.
- Asking "why" often to align marketing goals with overall business goals
Defining quality standards and processes for content creation, maintenance and scalability
Defining the subject matter and types of content
Developing editorial schedule for content production and delivery
- Determining delivery methods (how will people see and interact with content) i.e. website, landing pages, marketing automation, email marketing, social media, and in-person events
I design, create and edit towards a strong brand, cohesive voice and consistent content that speaks directly to the user.
- Designing websites (I use Squarespace)
- Copy writing, storytelling
- Ghost-writing and co-writing with SMEs
Crafting persuasive user-focused proposals, presentations, pitches
Developing compelling case studies
A good manager gets projects done. A good leader gets transformative results.
I can lead the entire creative output of a team, ensuring value delivery to all sides.
I clearly articulate complicated processes and can facilitate conversations between experts and non-experts.
a polymath - I have a wide range of interests and knowledge
curious - I must know the "why" of everything
analytical - I do what it takes to figure out the "why"
- deliberative - I take care in making decisions
- responsible - I hold myself accountable
- a learner - I'm driven to continuously gain new knowledge
- challenging - I'm willing to point out problems or assumptions (vs facts), in the interest of getting things right
I'm a service designer and creative strategist. My interest in user-focused design began in visitor experience in a contemporary art museum. I took those skills to a digital solutions consulting firm who helped SMBs unravel the complexities of operating a business in the age of digital transformation. There, I helped to "break the curse of knowledge" for the experts, translating complicated information for prospects and clients. Sadly, that firm closed in 2016. I feel strongly about the benefit of user-focused and human-centered design so I've continued this work on my own. Now I'm an independent consultant who helps organizations plot their course.
About you and me and everyone we know
I enjoy bouncing ideas around with others.
The beauty of human intelligence is our ability to synthesize knowledge and make connections between disparate ideas. It's what drives creativity and innovation.
I favor open environments that combine and expand upon the strengths of the individuals involved. Teams are more engaged when everyone participates and understands why decisions are made.
I am here to guide, not to rule.